Subject: [ripe-list] Re: PI IPv4 and PI IPv6 IXP assignments
From: "Gert Doering" <[email-masked]>
To: "Roderick Beck" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "Alarig Le Lay" <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2026 16:40:57 +0200

Hi,

On Tue, Mar 10, 2026 at 06:34:34PM +0100, Roderick Beck wrote:
> The fundamental underlying issue is probably RIPE's cost structure. Its
> 2025 spending was 52% more than ARIN. There is less budget transparency
> than ARIN in terms of senior management compensation and former RIPE
> employees have told me that staff is receiving a premium to the market.
> There are a lot more RIPE member complaints than ARIN member complaints.
> 
> RIPE has 202 employees versus 106 for ARIN. ARIN's operating expenses were
> $31.5 million for 2025. But RIPE's was 40 million Euros or using
purchasing
> price parity $48 million.
> 
> So there is prima facie evidence of costs being too high.

It might not be totally obvious, but "the RIPE region is way more complex
than the ARIN region".

If all you have is a single market, basically, all the complications of
"every country in the RIPE region has their own legal framework, company
registers, etc" disappear - and over the last years, due dilligence and 
legal verification and all that has grown to an enormous burden.

This has been presented by the RIPE management in the ncc-services 
working group a few times, so for anyone actually interested in the
answers, they are available.

> If you work with or for RIPE or have personal relationships with RIPE
> employees, please don't reply to my comments because your comments are
> tainted by self-interest. You should know better.

Those might actually give you answers that would conflict with your
prejudices...

Gert Doering
        -- NetMaster
-- 
have you enabled IPv6 on something today...?

SpaceNet AG                      Vorstand: Sebastian v. Bomhard,
                                           Karin Schuler, Sebastian Cler
Joseph-Dollinger-Bogen 14        Aufsichtsratsvors.: Dr. Frank Thiäner
D-80807 Muenchen                 HRB: 136055 (AG Muenchen)
Tel: +49 (0)89/32356-444         USt-IdNr.: DE813185279